Sunday, May 1, 2011

5 dinners 1 hour??? Can it be done?

After some seriously unhealthy food choices for months and some major unmotivation to fix that, I stumbled upon a blog called 5dinners1hour.blogspot.com . The claim is that I can spend one hour each week prepping 5 dinners and have them ready and waiting each night. Sounds too good to be true? I agree!

BUT....I'm willing to try anything to get out of this rut. So I shopped and I spent $65.00 (more than I'd prefer to spend, but less than my fast food budget!). I came home, unloaded the bags on the table and got to work.

I started with a sink full of soapy water. I put chicken in a pot on the stove to cook (probably not the "right" way, but hey, it got the job done). And I followed the plan. 45 minutes later, I was done. Dishes washed (although not put away....baby steps, people!), food stocked in the fridge, and I even called the sitter to see if she would pop the meals in the oven for us (yes, we are THAT busy!) so we can eat before dance and soccer and church. She agreed and tomorrow we'll find out if the kids will be on board.

As for the meals....here's what on the menu:

Monday- Mini Honey Mustard Meat Loaves with mashed potatoes and green beans(The kids really liked these and I did as well....so these will definitely be made again!)

Tuesday: Crispy Pork Chops w/ steamed veggies and applesauce (These were amazing and we had steamed cauliflour/broccoli/carrots and applesauce! They were a hit!)

Wednesday- Chicken and Broccoli bake served w/ rice and a salad (This was eaten, but Delaney picked out the stems and Braden wouldn't touch the rice. Next time I'll cut the rice smaller and mix the rice in better!)

Thursday- Chicken Caesar Salad Pitas w/ carrots and ranch dip (easy, fast and well received...another keeper!)

Friday- Slow Cooked Shredded Beef Tacos (YUM!!!! I should have made them Thursday for Cinco de Mayo, but everyone enjoyed making their own tacos!)

I'll update and let you know how it goes!
So...five dinners, prepped in an hour, can be done and will be done again! I'll let you know when we prep next weeks menu!

No comments:

Post a Comment